• Blog Stats

    • 20,886 hits
  • Blog Categories

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 16 other followers

New table

Can you spot the log table in this picture? It needs a little bit of work.

Advertisements

File knife

I've wanted to do this for a while. I've seen others make a knife out of a good quality file. I've had one around the shop for a while and now I am going to give it a shot. I've annealed the file to make it easier to grind and shape. The wood is some maple burl slabs I've purchased which are stained blue. The brass rod is a mosiac pin material that will give some design to the pins I use to keep the handle in place. I am exicted to get working on this project!

New hobby alert!

I've wanted to make some log furniture for a long time. I finally got the draw knife out and made some shavings. It isn't pretty, but it should work as an end table at the cabin. If I had to do it over again, I would find a better log for the top, use larger logs for the legs and feet and make all of the tenons on my lathe instead of with the hatchet and draw knife. You have to start somewhere!

Hatchet Revitalization

I bought this Plumb brand hatchet at a flea market a couple years ago. I've always wanted to carve a new handle for it and fix it up. I finally ordered a new handle and will get started on revitalizing the head. I need to soak it in vinegar and the rust will wipe off. I will then sand it, polish it, sharpen it and put the new handle on it.

Quaking Aspen Box

This is my first stab at making a box on the wood lathe. This was turned from a green Quaking Aspen (popple) log I cut. I let it dry for a week or two before finishing it. I sanded it to 1800 grit and it was finished with mineral oil. I've had this mineral oil (food safe finish) for a while and I wanted to see how it turns out. I like it.

The dark lines going around the bowl were created by cutting a groove and then applying a wire tool I made to create friction and cause the wood to burn leaving that mark.

Knife Upgrades

It's not pretty, but this is what I've coined my "campfire knife." I forged this knife as my first trial at making a knife using the forge and an anvil. It worked well for carving marshmallow sticks and such around the campfire in our back yard. But, it was unsafe to carry and the handle was uncomfortable. So, I made a simple sheath to keep the edge covered. It has no belt loop to keep it slim; I just carry it in my back pocket or carry it by hand. I had some paracord lying around so this was my first attempt at wrapping a handle with it. It isn't pretty, but it sure can be useful around the campfire.

Reverse Bowl Jig

My intial way to finish the bottom of a bowl was using this disk I made. It is made of MDF glued to a tapped maple block (to thread onto the lathe) and I glued a computer mouse pad to it for cusion and grip. This works pretty well, but I would like more access to the bottom and this version leaves a little nub that needs to hand chiseled and sanded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is the upgrade I made to this disk. I have a "donut" bolted to the original piece with padding to have full access to the bottom of the bowl. It works very well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is another view of the jig.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here are the parts involved. The original disk I mentioned, some 1/4" bolts and nuts, a MDF "donut" and some rubber hose pieces so the MDF doesn't damage the bowl. I may change it to once continuous hose piece or glue another mouse pad to the inside. We will see; everything in my shop is an experiment.